Dr. Nan Yang
Australian National University, Australia
Dr. Chong Han
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
Dr. Josep M. Jornet
Northeastern University, USA
Terahertz (THz) communicationsis envisioned as an enabling wireless technology forsixth generation (6G) wireless networks. Inparticular, the ultra-wide THz band ranging from 0.1 to 10 THz offersenormouspotential toalleviate the spectrum scarcity and break the capacity limitation of contemporary wireless networks (such as 4G-LTE and 5G networks). This will undoubtedly supportvery promising 6Gwireless networking applications that demand high quality of service (QoS) requirementsand multi-terabits per second data transmission, such as terabit-per-second backhaul systems, ultra-high-definition content streaming among mobile devices, virtual/augmented reality,and wireless high-bandwidth secure communications.
As 5G wireless networks are deployed and commercializedglobally, THz bandis where fundamental scientific and engineering breakthroughs are expected to occur overthe next decade.It is highlighted that THz communications has been identified by the IEEE Communication Society as one of the nine communication technology trends to follow.Accordingly, rapidly increasing research endeavors have been devoted to THz communicationsover the past few years.
The overarching objective of this tutorial is to provide the audience with the necessary knowledge and skills to contribute to the development of wireless communication networks in the THz band towards the 6G era, focusing on physical layer solutions.At the end of this tutorial the participants will be able to:
- Gain a fundamental understanding of the concepts and underlying principles of THz communications.
- Obtain critical comprehension of the state-of-the-art theoretical advancement of THz communications, including device technologies, channel measurement and modeling, development of communication strategies and evaluation frameworks (e.g. modulations, multi-connectivity, and system-level performance analysis), design of signal processing algorithms (e.g. hybrid beamforming and error control), and existing experimental platforms.
- Understand the opportunities and challenges brought by THz communications in supporting the deployment of 6G wireless networks in the not distant future.
Structure and content
- Introduction and overview of THz communications (approximately 30 minutes)
- Evolution of wireless networks
- Limitations of emerging wireless networks
- Exploration of the THz band for future wireless networks
- Advancement in THz device, channel measurement and modeling (approximately 45minutes)
- THz device technologies
- THz channel measurementand modeling
- Cutting-edgephysical layer solutions in THz communications (approximately 75minutes)
- System-level modeling and performance analytical framework
- Hybrid beamforming
- Ultra-broadband modulations
- Error control mechanisms
- Other physical layer solutions such as synchronization, security, and intelligent reflecting surface
- Prototyping and experimental outcomes
- Challenges and open issues in THz communications (approximately 30 minutes)
- THz device, channel measurement and modelling
- Physical layer strategies ofTHz communications
- Cross-layer design in THz networkingd)Other challenges imposed by the 6G era